Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hilton Head Day 1

It's official: Simon loves the beach! And he has NO fear! First I took him to the pool. He has no concept of sitting on the step and just splashing or playing with toys. He doesn't like to be swished around in the water for more than about 10 seconds. No, Simon wants to jump right in. Literally! When we first approached the pool in our clothes, he was ready to walk in as if he were Jesus. Then when we returned with our bathing suits, all he wants is to be lifted onto the edge of the pool so that he can jump in. He doesn't even look half the time to make sure that I am there to catch him or that he is even on target to fall into my arms. I must be in physical contact with him every. single. second. I couldn't even let go long enough to retie the drawstring on my shorts. He is blissfully ignorant to the potential consequences of jumping into the water with no idea how to swim.

Then we went on to the beach, and after slowing down for about two seconds to ponder this new surface he was walking on, he was running as soon as the sand was hard enough. He went straight for his brother, then straight for the ocean. I took him into the waves and I had to struggle to hold on as he desperately wanted to be free to move on his own and frolic and play without any restraint.

Well I can see that whoever is responsible for watching Simon (i.e. me at least half of the time) won't have any rest this week!

Don't get any ideas that I'll be posting everyday of our vacation, but tonight I have the time and the inclination. We took a video of his jumping in the pool, but I probably won't be able to post it until after we are home.

No comments:

Post a Comment