Starting tomorrow Simon and I are going to give up dairy for at least two weeks. I am not certain that Simon is sensitive to dairy, but I think something is affecting him and I've decided to start there. He's had a rash on his perineum almost his whole life which sort of comes and goes and I've tried all sorts of different creams and potions on as well as taking breaks from cloth diapers, trying to keep him as dry as possible, etc. I'm wondering at this point if it isn't eczema that happens to be in his diaper area. It is very itchy when it flares and he will scratch it raw if given the opportunity. I was also looking back at old pictures of him and I now think that he has puffy eyes. His immune system also seems to be a little sluggish. He's certainly had more acute illnesses than anyone else in the family, but even simple stuff like a runny nose takes him much longer to get over than anyone else.
I am also interested to see if eliminating dairy has any affects on me. I am feeling particularly harassed by acne and eczema on my left hand which nothing seems to cure either of those things for me either.
Wish us luck! Having to go on an elimination diet has always been one of my greatest apprehensions since becoming a mom. But I finally feel resolved to take the plunge. Here we go!
He's your Ben!
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Sarah! If you need an tips or recipes, let me know. My diet it very light on dairy and I follow a thousand vegan food blogs.
I am definitely allergic to dairy which I never realized until I went to Sri Lanka and ate virtually no dairy... just powdered milk in my tea and a tiny thing of yogurt once or twice a week.
You can do it! I definitely recommend the Bulgar Chickpea recipe that Mary posted - we never add the cheese.
I have eaten Bulgar Chickpea recipe and I approve of this message.
ReplyDelete