Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting ready to go

We leave for the beach on Saturday. Grumpy Joseph fell asleep about 10 minutes after he was sent to his room and Simon is sleeping on my back, and I am catching up on blogs, so I figured I might as well write one.

I have been preparing all sorts of food this week in addition to the usual stuff and some unexpected things too. I want to bring a few back-up food items for Simon and I since we are off dairy, plus some healthy home made stuff b/c I am feeling anxious (and I'm neurotic) about the coming week of complete garbage food. I will be without the majority of my daily foods that I consume in lieu of pills to keep me healthy. I'll also be home for only one week before the kids and I take off for Connecticut, so I am trying to plan ahead for all that too.

This week, I made four loaves of bread, a boatload of crackers, a few batches of larabar type snacks, paneer (That was an accident. I was going to make yogurt, but the milk was already starting to sour and then I way over boiled it b/c I wasn't paying attention and discovered that I had made cheese instead), water kefir, three pans of lasagna and baked oatmeal in addition to the breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that we eat everyday.

On an unrelated note, I had to find a new source for eggs since the family I usually buy them from went on vacation for the whole summer. I got some today from a family who is bringing eggs to the milk drop off in Ft. Mill. I like these eggs better because they are bigger, less expensive and more convenient. And they still have the things I am looking for in "A+" eggs: namely free range and organic and soy free. I cooked eight of the "new" eggs today, and six of them had double yolks! And I think there are at least two more double yolk eggs in that carton. Nonetheless, I am feeling a little sad about telling that other family that I probably won't be buying their eggs anymore. I think I was their main buyer and I know that it is a free capitalist country, but it's different to walk away when you've developed a relationship with a family vs just deciding to buy a different brand among many at the impersonal mega mart grocery store.
And in an ironic twist, I was actually contacted by the H--- family the same day I had reserved eggs for the Ft. Mill pick up telling me that I could in fact get eggs before their return because the friend who is house-sitting for them has apparently maxed out on eggs. Oh well, c'est la vie, I guess. ...Anyone want to buy some great eggs in the Mountain Island Lake area? :)

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, Feel free to bring along anything that you want when you travel here to CT. I don't know what you can bring on the plane or check in your luggage, but we're very open to new foods and beverages around here. If I make a sourdough starter now, would it be useable by the time you come? I was hoping you could show me the ropes with the sourdough when you are here. We make our own yogurt, so we always have that here. Let us know what else you want, because we were planning on getting you some groceries if your hotel room has a little fridge.

    ReplyDelete