Monday, April 25, 2011

New Phone Service At Last

After talking about and planning to switch cell phone providers for MONTHS, I finally did it!  I am now with Sienna Communications instead of Verizon.  (Although Sienna uses the Verizon network, so I should get the same quality of service coverage I've been getting all along.)  I reduced my plan to a 100 minute per month plan for $15 (plus taxes and fees, so probably closer to $20 per month when all is said and done.).  I don't have a texting plan, but it is currently still enabled, so text messages will cost me $0.10 to send or receive.  This switch should save me about $25 per month and 5% of of my bill goes toward the Catholic or Pro-Life Charity of my choice!

Sienna does not have any contracts to sign.  I did find out they do try to mimic the other companies' promotions to get a new phone every one or two years.  (They simply give you either $50 credit toward a new phone after one year or $100 after two years which is enough for a free one.)  Considering how much I use my cell phone (not much at all), this is a very practical and long over-due change and I'm glad to be making a small contribution to a worthy charity each month instead of handing over gratuitous amounts of money to a large corporation that probably doesn't share my convictions nor does it offer services that fit my needs.

So I am sorry to my family members who have Verizon and won't get to use free "mobile to mobile" minutes when you call me anymore, but maybe some others of you might find Sienna Communications to fit your needs as well and you'll switch! (They have mobile-to-mobile minutes too.)  Either way, I really prefer to be called first on my home phone as that is the best way to reach me.  Only try my cell phone if you can't reach me at home or you know that I am travelling.

My phone number will be the same.  The switch over is occurring today.  Talk to ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment