Saturday, July 11, 2009

PSA: When you phone, please phone home!

A friendly public service announcement (PSA) to anyone who has occasion to call me/us on the telephone:

Please use my home phone number as the primary number for contacting. If you don't have my home phone number, please take a moment to obtain it!

I am home more often than not, and much prefer talking on the land line. My cell phone is most of the time out of ear shot, or accidentally left on vibrate, so I seldom hear it when it rings anyways. And if the only way you can contact me is by cell phone, it's probably not a good time for me to talk anyways!

We have about one year left on our cell phone contract. After that, neither Michael or I will be renewing. I am going to switch to a pay-as-you-go or a pre-paid phone plan, which means calls will cost me more, (but probably less than I am spending now) and I intend to use my cell phone only when "necessary." Michael will be using his blackberry provided by his work. He will have to reimburse his company for personal calls, but that too will certainly be less than we currently spend on the lowest level contract. (You can also email him at his work email and he can check it on his BB.) We aren't big cell phone users, although they are such a convenient piece of technology, we can't scrap them all together.

Start practicing calling our home number now, because after our contract is up, I'll probably be screening my cell phone calls!

Love, Sarah

P.S. In case you didn't already know, I also like email communication, especially for important "facts" since I am more visual when it comes to memory and then I usually make a note on my calendar or tasks. And sometimes sound quality on cell phones is poor, so I am afraid that I miss details.

2 comments:

  1. When is it too late to call the house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for a general conversation call, I'd say about 9? We tend to go to bed around 10pm... Although Annie's room has one of the phones in it, so calling too early might disturb her! :)

    And FWIW, at this time in Joseph's life, we are usually doing bedtime stuff from about 7-8.

    I think the same calling hours etiquette applies to cell phones and home phones, no?

    ReplyDelete