Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back Splash Backlash

Who would have thought that a kitchen back splash would be so pivotal?? Michael and I thought that the back splash was merely decorative and so could wait to be done until after the other elements of the kitchen... NO!! If you ever remodel a kitchen, get the back splash done ASAP! (Which would be right after the counter top goes in, but have the tile and grout chosen, ordered and at your house ready to go! Contractor chosen and scheduled, etc.) Pick it out as soon as you have chosen your cabinets. DO NOT WAIT!! Perhaps to save even more time, the wall can be repaired and prepped as necessary before the countertop is installed (there are several days/weeks lag time between cabinet installation and countertop installation) and then only the tiling itself will need to be done after the countertop goes in.

Basically, the electrician can't finish his work until the back splash is up - which means no outlets, no under cabinet lighting, no dishwasher or disposal. He already came back two times after the rough (which has to be done before the cabinets are installed) even though he had initially planned to only come back one time do finish everything. (Thanks, Jim! I have a good electrician!)

Also, the plumber was here today and asked me a question which I had never pondered: Do I want to wait to put the faucet in so that it is easier to tile behind the sink? Well, that never occurred to me before, nor did any other contractor mention it.... but the plumber didn't finish all his stuff other stuff today anyways, so he is also coming back after the back splash.

The tile is expected to arrive next week on Wednesday or Thursday. I am leaving for Las Vegas Thursday night. Michael and Joseph are driving to HHI on Saturday - then I am leaving Annie in charge!

Ugh... I didn't believe it, or I was foolishly optimistic, when I was told it would take 4-6 weeks from the time the old kitchen was ripped out to when I would be enjoying my new kitchen. It's TRUE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment