Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Simon Surprise (My birth story)

Simon Augustine Wood arrived on Jan 9 at about 4 am - unexpectedly born at home!!

My contractions started around 4pm on Thursday evening. They were coming every 10 minutes or so, and they weren't too strong so I decided to keep my plans to go out for MNO. I'm so glad I went b/c the other moms threw me a surprise blessingway and gave me so many wonderful affirmations and well wishes. I was really touched. It was a great way to start my labor!

After I got home, I put Joseph to bed and gathered up a few last things that I wanted to take with me to the hospital. I went to bed and the contractions continued every 10 minutes or so. I couldn't really sleep; I think I semi-dozed between some of them, but by this point in my labor with Joseph, I still had almost 2 days before he was born!

Around 2:30am the contractions suddenly became harder. I thought maybe I was wussing out and failing in my relaxation techniques, but after a few of those I told Michael it was time to call our doula, Christine (around 3am). I also told Michael to call his dad to come over to watch Joseph for when we went to the hospital. The harder contractions quickly turned into pushing contractions, and after a couple of those, I got up and went into the bathroom. Christine arrived around 3:30/3:45. My water had just broken, she checked me and she could already feel the head. There was no time to go the hospital, Simon was on his way!! (Fortunately Christine came prepared with her supplies and equipment! Christine is also working toward becoming a homebirth midwife.) I decided to move to the tub, hoping to be able to take advantage of the water for a more comfortable delivery. But by the time there was enough water in the tub, I think Simon's head was already coming out, so I couldn't submerge myself. It took several pushes, but he was born by 4 am! At one point before his head was out, he actually retreated a little bit! He was big (9lbs), especially his shoulders and chest. When I saw him, I couldn't believe it - he looked NOTHING like I expected - as different as could be from Joseph. He has tons of long black hair, chubby cheeks, a round body and dark skin (or maybe it is just really red right now.)

Towards the end of my pregnancy, I encountered some issues regarding medical "status quo" procedures and my birth choices. I was either going to have to make some compromises or potentially fight battles to have things happen the way I wanted for my birth. This was a somewhat poetic end to my pregnancy since I was spared all of that and had a really wonderful birth experience, albeit unexpected.

My first labor was 50 hrs. While I didn't expect this one to be as long, I certainly didn't expect it to be this fast! I really didn't know that we wouldn't be going to the hospital until Christine said there was no way. But I was fine with that b/c I was primarily concerned with just getting the baby out! I had no fear or reservations about giving birth at home b/c I knew I was in good, experienced, knowledgeable hands.

Michael told me he didn't know we weren't going to the hospital until he heard Simon crying!

It has been really nice to be at home in my own bed, only surrounded by people who are near and dear to me. This has felt truly natural. Normally I am one to plan and prepare for every detail, but having no choice but to stay home left no space in my brain to have any anxiety whatsoever about not being "prepared" for a homebirth.

Simon is a great baby, and his older brother is loving him to pieces (sometimes literally). I feel truly blessed!






8 comments:

  1. Hutchie, I'm so, so happy for you!! What a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that story is a jaw-dropper! I'm very curious - what do you do after you unexpectedly deliver at home...do you go with the baby to the hospital? Make an appointment with the pediatrician for the next day? How do you get a birth certificate?

    Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! Sweet little Simon has a great family to get to know. I hope everything is going well for you both these first few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Sarah! My friend Frances L. (from my parish) emailed me your birth story, not knowing that you and I know each other from LLL. Small world! Simon is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE: Frances' question, Sarah I know you weren't planning a home birth, so you might not have this information: To get the birth certificate, just make an appointment with your county's Office of Vital Records. Your husband can go, you and the newborn do not need to go. I forget what information he will need to take with him, but he can ask for those details when he calls for the appointment. My husband took our toddler to the appointment and said it was really easy and there was almost nobody in line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Sarah! I'm so glad you are both healthy and everything went well. Simon is beautiful. Great hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to hear Michael's take on things - how it felt to be hanging out downstairs with Joseph and all of a sudden hearing Simon crying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info on the birth certificate! I knew I had to contact NC Vital records one way or another, but didn't know about making an appointment. I know they require "proof of pregnancy" which could be as simple as a letter from someone (not your husband) stating that they saw you pregnant. I figure a receipt from a recent prenatal appointment should also suffice...?

    None of us have gone to the hospital or seen any doctors yet. Our doula did all the necessary postpartum examinations... she verified that the placenta was complete and normal; she weighed, measured, checked heart rate, apgars etc for Simon; she checked me out (I did tear and I am letting it heal on its own. I was already planning to NOT do a repair even if I had been in the hospital.) She also came back the 2nd day to weigh Simon, and she was back today to do the PKU screen and weighed him again... which is all the doctor would really be doing at this point anyways. I'm planning on taking him to the ped sometime next week though.

    And as I mentioned, I was already planning to decline pretty much every medical procedure/treatment that they do to the baby after birth, so even more reasons to stay away from the hospital, IMO!

    Essentially, none of us requires any special medical attention (and Christine is keeping tabs on us), so we are just staying home! I'm also supposed to avoid doing the stairs for a week and am resting and recovering in general, so I don't really want to even try to go anywhere! (so again I am glad I didn't have to worry about getting in a car to go home from the hospital either. It wouldn't have been fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah: Thanks for sharing! What a wonderful story! Simon is so adorable... ...and I'm so glad you were at home-how awesome!

    ReplyDelete