Sunday, January 4, 2009

Due Date Dilema

So for those of you who were paying attention, Jan 2 was my "due date." One of them anyways. It WAS Jan 11 at the beginning of my pregnancy (which is very accurate based on ovulation), but they changed it to Jan 2 after the 20 week ultrasound b/c the ultrasound does some statistical calculations and then predicts a date based on the baby's measurements. (This is what I gather anyways.)

I had an appointment on Friday, my "due date," and since I was still pregnant, the midwife asked me, "So what are you thinking?" i.e. "How long before you'll let us induce you?" If anyone knows anything about me and my birth philosophy, I am really opposed to induction (unless there is a true medical reason.) So, I brought up the fact that they moved up my EDD based on the u/s and that the prior due date is more accurate anyways, so I'm not REALLY 40 weeks yet. (And 42 weeks is still a normal length of gestation!) That particular midwife was totally understanding of my point of view but said that since it hadn't been challenged all this time, it would be harder to convince other providers. She also said she never would have changed my due date b/c there is supposed to be a 14 day difference to warrant changing it based on the 20wk ultrasound.

Anyways, I am scheduled to go in on Friday the 9th if I am still pregnant, at which point they will do a non stress test and ultrasound to make sure everything is OK. I'm sure everything will prove to be normal and healthy if I make it that far, but basically I need to go along with the testing in order to show that I am a reasonable person.

I am hoping that I go into labor before Friday so that all of this is moot. But if I haven't I am then hoping that I do not encounter pressure to evict my baby before he's ready. I will try natural ways of inducing labor, but do not plan on consenting to a medical induction (again, unless there is a bona fide medical reason.)

Please say a prayer for us that everything goes smoothly and I don't have to fight battles at the end of my pregnancy!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanations, Sarah - they will help me process my situation if I, too, have not delivered by their "10 days sooner than ovulation predicts" due date for me. You and Simon are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is crap! Tell them to keep their hands off my nephew! What is wrong with people? There is so much medical craziness when it comes to having babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 8 days late with Bridget. When I was 5 or 6 days late they did the non stress test and offered to induce, but she was doing fine and I wanted to wait and they were fine with it for a few more days. Then she came on her own! I'm sure Simon will do the same. There's always castor oil!

    ReplyDelete