Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Simon's Good Day

For the past seven weeks, we have been attending our homeschool enrichment, "Catholic Schoolhouse."  It has not been going as well for Simon as I hoped.  Every week he has been uninterested in what is going on, always out of his seat, not sitting where he is supposed to, constantly telling me how hungry he is, asking to go the nursery, etc.  It's been a constant battle with us butting heads and locking horns.  (Simon can be exceedingly stubborn.)  I was getting distraught that perhaps I had made a mistake enrolling him and that he was too young to be in a classroom-like setting, even for only three hours a week.

However, today was SO GOOD!  I was overjoyed that he had a good attitude. He colored, cut and glued.  He did all the activities, he stayed with the group, and in his chair.  He took pride in his work and enjoyed what he was doing. He let me look on and help him with his projects.  He did well on his oral presentation.  It was about a thousand times better than the previous six weeks.  I just hope and pray that he has actually turned a corner and it was not just a fluke.  At least I have hope for the rest of the year to improve, even if there are weeks of backtracking.  He still exhibited some three year old exuberance during the morning, but all in all it was a great day!  I praised him profusely for all the good work he did and how well he was behaving, and he was proud of himself too.  He even got a treat when we went shopping at Trader Joes: a jar of olives! (and some cookies.  Incidentally, Joseph and Simon both loved the spinach and kale pie that was being sampled and were begging, "I want more spinach! I want more spinach!")


1 comment: