Yesterday Papa (Michael's dad) told me that he was looking at a book he's reading entitled Full Black. Then Simon saw it and pointed to the word and said, "That's black." The other day when we were at home, he saw a spice jar on the counter and said, "That's from Trader Joes." So that is at least one sight word and one environmental text that he knows! I think he pointed out a word to me at least one other time, but I dismissed it as coincidence. Simon also enjoys and is pretty good at identifying letters (and numbers)... maybe even more than Joseph (definitely the enjoyment part. I think Joseph knows at least as much, but he is usually more reluctant to share.)
As I plan for our homeschooling next year, it is with the idea that both Joseph and Simon will be participating. If only because Simon likes to do everything Joseph is doing but I think there will be lots of benefits to working with them together, and also because he's interested in and picking up all sorts of knowledge. I honestly haven't directly taught him anything "academic." He's just soaked it up from Joseph (which he was learning at preschool) and apparently from some preschool games on Papa's iPad (which is where I think he's learned the word "black.")
No comments:
Post a Comment