Sunday, August 7, 2011

Back from the Beach

We returned yesterday afternoon from the annual (approximately 18th annual) Wood Family Beach Vacation on Hilton Head Island.  Michael and the boys spent tons of time outside at the beach or the pool and loved every minute of it.  As for me, I spent most of my time indoors with sweet Clara who has a short and frequent cycle of wake, change, nurse, sleep.  I did make it out the the beach about three times, maybe four, for short intervals.  I also went in the hot tub for about a quarter of an hour and took a quick dip in the pool immediately following that.  I didn't want the whole week to go by without getting in the water at least once!  (I avoided the ocean though b/c there were lots of jelly fish this week.)  Unfortunately I couldn't time my free periods to coincide with others, so I was all by myself, but at least I got in!  But I actually had a double whammy against me getting in the water: In addition to caring for Clara, I have been avoiding getting my hands wet for several weeks due to the eczema on my hands.  Most of you know, I was in the middle of a horrible flare before and during the fourth of July weekend, and things are much better since then, but not in complete remission yet, so I have to be careful.  Basically, water is the enemy of eczematous hands.  So that certainly puts severe limitations on enjoying typical beach activities! (not to mention daily life as a homemaker, mother of small children and a human being in general!)

I must add how grateful we are for the family patriarch, Papa, and his generosity, without whom this vacation would not be possible!!

Here are a few pics from our week at the beach:
Building a drip castle with Daddy


Clara smiling in her sleep

Simon modeling his "new" retro t-shirt from Aunt Melissa (RUN DMC was one of Michael's favorites back in the day.)

Clara, Simon and Cousin Grant

Simon fell asleep clutching his new alligator toy

Playing on Papa's iPad

Uncle Russ and Joseph at the pool

Each year's pool pictures are remarkably similar!  (I'm sure I have one just like this from last year.)

Clara examining her hands.  You can't see it in the picture, but the sandy beach can be seen from those windows.

The view from our deck (the beach is practically within spitting distance) and the three tents which Michael and his brothers dutifully set up AND take down EVERY day! (And it is quite a production since they dig holes for all the legs and secure the tents together with bungees and additional stakes to secure the tents against the wind and have no gaps for sunlight between the canopies.  We are so blessed!)

Mommy really was there!

The boys enjoying the view from the second deck.

That's everybody!

Our family

4 comments:

  1. These are great pictures, Hutchie! I can't believe Clara is already into her hands. Leo likes to suck on his but hasn't gotten interested in staring at them yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. eczema does make it hard to be a human being!

    beautiful pictures btw.

    ReplyDelete