Friday, March 4, 2011

New Laundry Machines

We sold our old washer and dryer this week and bought new ones last night that got delivered today.  I was not overly impressed with the HE appliances that we bought when we moved to this house.  But the biggest problem is that they were too big for the laundry nook in the kitchen and we could never put the doors up to hide them away.  Furthermore, the vibrations from washing machine rattled dishes and would even cause things to fall down sometimes.  So we have now opted for traditional type laundry machines.  Hopefully we'll get the doors up on the laundry nook soon, but Michael is going to have to paint them first.

As we were shopping for new appliances I was utterly appalled to hear from two different sales people that these new super expensive laundry machines actually have a fairly low life expectancy.  They said many consumers are coming back to replace them after only four or five years!  They themselves hope to get 7-10 years out of their appliances.  And they say there's not really a difference between the traditional models and the more modern HE machines in that regard.  They just don't make them like they used to.  Gone are the days when a washer and dryer would last 20-25 years!  It looks like most HE machines start around 700 or 800 dollars and go up as high as $1500 each!  I can't imagine making such an investment for such a short period of time.  It's been a learning experience.  I don't know if I'll ever find the "perfect" appliances, but hopefully these ones will work out better for us than the former ones. 

 I guess I should change the banner picture now?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! My in laws are still using their washer-dryer set that is probably 20 years old. Every time something breaks, my FIL goes and gets the obscure part and fixes it himself. He actually has all the machine's part numbers programmed into his phone so he can easily look them up from the hardware store. Now that's how they used to make machines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the other day that you need to change your banner too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had ours 3 years and going strong and we got them bogo, so we got an HE pair for well under $1000 and they were a consumer reports top pick. I'm happy with them.

    Congrats on your new machines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had our Maytag (not HE) washer and dryer since 2001, so ten years, and they are still going strong. They've never had any problems and we've moved them twice (from apt. to apt. to house). Hopefully your new machines will last 10 years or more, too. Maybe those were conservative estimates from the salespeople?

    ReplyDelete