Yesterday we celebrated the Feast of St. Joseph with a family potluck. Michael and I constructed a St. Joseph's altar in the dining room with a statue of St. Joseph and some symbolic items and all the different foods that people brought to share. We said a special blessing of the altar and prayed the litany of St. Joseph. We had the children in attendance bring symbolic items to place on the altar as well (second tier) and they each got a St. Joseph's medal and prayer card.
I did a smaller scale celebration of this feast last year, planning and hoping to expand it to something for families and I think it went well! I made a few traditional recipes: St. Joseph's bread (Pane de San Guiseppe), St. Joseph's cream puffs (Sfinge or Zeppole de Sab Guiseppe) and a pasta dish with "sawdust" bread crumb topping (b/c St. Joseph was a carpenter.)
I hope to make this an annual tradition. St. Joseph is really an amazing saint! Even though we don't know very many details of his life, I've read some beautiful reflections on what sort of man he was - especially to be chosen as foster father of our Lord! Of course, he is also the namesake for two members of our family and Michael and I also did a special devotion to the Holy Family at our wedding, so we would do well to find more ways to carry on that devotion throughout the year. Additionally, it is fun to celebrate a solemnity during Lent and have an opportunity for feasting and celebrating!
We had plenty of leftovers that we were able to box up and give to people "in need" such as my elderly next door neighbor, my father-in-law and a friend who is/was about to have a baby (which it turns out that day is today! Congrats and we're praying for you!)
St. Joseph: Pray for us!

Thanks for sending us home with leftovers! We did indeed eat them the next day when I'd had the baby!
ReplyDelete