Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Potty Progress

Simon has been wearing underwear for about a week now!  I have been much more slack about the ECing process with him than I was with Joseph, and I was sort of waiting (and waiting and waiting) for him to start being a little more proactive and tell me when he needed to go potty instead of ME being proactive and just pottying him at regular intervals.  Well, one morning he really didn't want to put a diaper on, so I said "OK, then you can wear underwear, but you have to tell mommy when you need to go potty."  "Ok," he said. 

Well anyways, in the interim we have had some days with no misses and some days with many misses/accidents, but now he is getting markedly better about telling me or Michael that he needs to go potty and or I can tell he is trying to hold it when he is busy because he starts touching his crotch, so off to the potty we go!  It's been as good a time as any to work on this since we've been home-bound for so long.  I even had him in underwear when we went out the doctor's office, which was our first time without a diaper out-and-about.  (Now I'll have to make sure I keep a spare outfit in the car.)  He went potty when we got there, and then after being in the exam room for a while, after the PA was in there with us, he told me he had to go potty again.  So I ushered him out and when we got to the bathroom door he refused to go in!  I asked, "Do you have to go potty or not?" "Not," he replied.  It was all a ruse, the little rascal!

I think I probably could have done this with Simon months ago, but I was too lazy.    I have to be more johnny-on-the-spot to make sure he gets to the potty right away, then get his clothes off, get him cleaned up when applicable and get his clothes back on.  At any rate, I'm glad we're getting to this stage of pottying before little sister comes along.  He even stays dry through the night most of the time.  Whereas he used to dutifully march over to the potty first thing in the morning, he has gotten into the habit of running into Joseph's room to play "dee dee cuu cuu" first thing every morning.  (Also partly due to my laziness and wanting more time in bed.)  So now I am being stricter about going potty first thing again.  He often protests, but I think he is also accepting that this is the rule and I'm not going to let him run off and play with out going potty first.

Meanwhile, Joseph has been having very random bedwetting incidents over the past several months, much to our chagrin.  It is almost a sure thing if we (usually I) forget to make him go potty RIGHT before bed.  But sometimes it happens even if he did potty right before bed.  Months ago, he would get up and go potty in the night if he needed to.  We don't know why he fails to do that on the nights he wets the bed now.  Hopefully this will pass soon... but it is very puzzling and frustrating when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment