I've probably mentioned it before, although I can't specifically remember, that Simon absolutely loves puzzles. This is by far his favorite passtime... that and imitating Joseph. He demonstrates a great deal of patience, but also skill at assembling puzzles and he can do 40+ piece puzzles by himself. I think some of them he has sort of memorized from doing them so many times, but he never gets tired of them. Even very simple puzzles without interlocking pieces (think beginner wooden puzzles with individual shapes) he really enjoys.
He also enjoys having someone help him with the puzzles. Especially if you hand him a piece that will connect, he knows right away where to put it without further instruction. I think he finds locking a piece in place very gratifying (don't we all?) After a puzzle is completed, he will usually disassemble small portions and reassemble it over and over again. He is also a bit of an annoying puzzle partner in that he really wants to be the one to put all the pieces in, so if anyone else puts one down, 90% of the time he will pull it off and put it on again, exclaiming "I do it!"
Pictured below is a foam alphabet puzzle that he has done umpteen times, but just the other day I saw that for the first time he selected only the pink pieces (and one green one) to put back! I don't know what that means, if anything, but I thought it was pretty neat.
P.S. His aunties and uncles will also like knowing that he mentions you all at random times, and not infrequently at that. I don't usually understand any context to discern what has made him think of a particular aunt or uncle, but he will clearly say, "Uncle Ben" "Uncle Dave," "Auntie Becca," "Uncle Colin (or "Cow Cow)," "Nannie," and so on. He also likes looking at an old family photo of us that must be nearly 20 years old... the "sweater" family photo? And he points to and names everyone.
That is so neat! John at 4 is only now doing puzzles of about 40 pieces.
ReplyDeletePuzzling must run in the family! Puzzles will always make me think of Mom. Don't forget to tell Simon he has an eagle eye when he finds a matching piece.
ReplyDeleteOh the Sweater photo....I think it's only 15 years old.
I was doing a puzzle yesterday at a friends house and I thought of Mom and us doing puzzles and telling us we had eagle eyes!!! and the photo is about 18 years old Sarah is closer, sorry Becca. If it is the photo I am remembering. Annie looks 5ish and I am pre-glasses which I got when I was 8.
ReplyDelete