Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hot Cross Buns and other bread

This year I tried my hand at Hot Cross Buns for Good Friday.  I don't really understand why the recipes typically call for icing since that seems rather gourmand for a day of fast and abstinence.  But who am I to mess with tradition?  Anyways, I wanted to try them out according to the recipe before deciding to modify them in the future.  I thought I was being really clever by mixing the icing in a baggie so that I could pipe delicate icing crosses on the tops of the buns.  However, the icing proved to be stronger than the baggie and ended up busting out of the side, so I just did my best to spread the icing on with a knife after that.  (I only photographed the best one, lest you think they all looked that good!)


This is a ginormous loaf of sourdough french bread I made today to have with Easter Dinner tomorrow.  The recipe said you could make two smaller loaves or one larger one.  Well, I thought I'd save myself some trouble and just make one loaf, but it is really huge!  This is also my first braided loaf of bread.  Unfortunately I did not meld my pieces back together very well after I meticulously measured three equal portions for the braid and it ended up tearing apart a little bit during the rising.  It sure smells good though.  I can't wait to taste it tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful braid! And I'm glad someone else was as untalented with icing the hot cross buns as I was. Mine required more than one attempt and wiping off of the parts where the icing ran all over the place.

    ReplyDelete