Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Home Again, Home Again

I arrived home from my trip to Bloomington IN Sunday night. It had a great time. It was really nice to see some old friends from my college days. The wedding itself was also beautiful and the reception following was a lot of fun. I am very grateful to Michael who encouraged me to take the trip even though I worried about leaving Joseph over night and spending money and all that. He told me that I should go or I would regret missing it. And he was right, although I didn't realize beforehand how much I would enjoy going. So thank you, Michael!

The trip started out a little shaky when I arrived at the ticket counter in Charlotte to find out my flight had been cancelled! They were going to put me on a much later flight that would have made me miss the rehearsal dinner -my whole reason for departing on Friday. I said that wasn't acceptable, and I was put on a later direct flight with another airline. It arrived in Indie too late for me to take my scheduled shuttle ride to Bloomington, but just in time for me to hitch a ride with one of my college buddies who rented a car, so I think it actually worked out better in the end!

All the out of town guests were invited to the rehearsal dinner which was held at the local children's science museum. It was such a fun and unique location for the dinner. I was wishing that Joseph could have been there for that because he would have loved all the hands on exhibits and tanks filled with various animals such as lizards, snakes and tarantulas!

Simon did great on the whole trip. I wore him pretty much non-stop for three days, which was a bit tiring for me, but I'm sure is the reason he hardly even cried all weekend. Everyone who met him remarked what a calm and happy baby he was. He gave out his customary wide smiles to anyone who gave him attention. Fortunately he also tolerated the late nights out without much fuss either. He is probably just the perfect age for traveling with. I remember traveling with Joseph when he was about 8.5 months old, and had just started crawling. It was more difficult to keep him in arms all the time because he wanted to be using his new skill and exploring the world more.

From all reports, Joseph also fared well in my absence. I called him a couple of times and it seemed he hardly had the time to leave his playing to say hello to dear old Mom. Michael said he didn't even ask for milk until Saturday night and Sunday morning, and when he told him that Mommy was out of town on a trip so he couldn't have milk, Joseph's reaction was something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, that's right," and he didn't get upset about it.

It's nice to be home though and reunited with all my boys.

2 comments:

  1. Great report, Sarah! I am so glad to hear that Simon traveled well and Joseph handled your absence without much fuss. What you wrote about traveling with a new crawler has me a little concerned...we'll be flying cross-country when Teresa is 8 months. God help us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hutchie, I'm so glad you and Simon could come--and that you had a good time! Simon was a huge hit; everyone's been asking who he was and commenting on his adorable-ness--and tons of people took pictures of him too. :) Anyway, glad to hear that Joseph survived your absence and that you made it home again safely. It was so great to see you again and to meet Simon!

    ReplyDelete