Friday, April 3, 2009

Big One and Baby

If you thought this post would be about my two children, you would be wrong. Although what follows is probably somewhat embarassing, it has made me chuckle enough times that even at my own expense I will share this anecdote with you.

"Big One" and "Baby" are my breasts... according to Joseph, anyways. Since Joseph has been acquiring so much language over the past several months, he can express his much more of his own orginal thoughts and ideas. Sometime after the birth of Simon, Joseph dubbed one of my breasts "Big One." It is his preferred side. When he wants to nurse, he excitedly asks, "Big one?!" and when I reply affirmatively, he exclaims "O-KAY! BIG ONE!!" and at times he's just as giddy as a kid in a candy shop over it. And one time he got hurt and wanted to nurse. He plaintively asked, "Mommy, milk? Please, mommy, Big One? Big Milk?"

Up until a few days ago, the other breast was only referred to as "this one" or "that one." But a couple of nights ago, he asked for Big One and I said no, he had to have the other one. Then he smiled and said "Okay! Baby Milk!" That made me laugh.

Now, I am pretty sure that in Joseph's world "size doesn't matter," but his calling one breast "Big One" and the other "Baby" alludes to the fact that one of my breasts produces more plentiful milk than the other. It's something I never remarked when Joseph was a baby, but since my milk came in after Simon's birth, I could tell that one side usually felt fuller than the other and also had a stronger let down. The fact that Joseph also noticed and showed a distinct preference for one over the other has been very amusing to me (especially with regard to his level of excitement over it.)

In case you were curious, I'm not going to tell you which one is which, and please don't try to figure it out next time you see me!

2 comments:

  1. LOL!

    Maybe Joseph will give it away.

    It makes sense though - it sounds like one is suited to an older child and one if better for a baby - like bottle nipples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fabulous! John has not yet commented on that about me, although I have the same set-up!

    ReplyDelete