Monday, December 1, 2008
"We're going to have a baby!"
I have been trying to prepare Joseph for the arrival of his little brother in a variety of ways. Sometimes we read books about being a big brother or mommies having babies. Sometimes I ask him "Where is Mommy's baby?" or point to my belly and say "Say hi to Simon," etc. This evening I was reading Joseph one of our books about a baby coming into the family. (Baby on the Way by Dr. Sears). In it there is a picture of a silohuette of a mother and the baby in her uterus is in full color and detail. So I started saying, "That's Simon. Simon is going to come out soon and then we can hold him in our arms." Joseph concurred by making the sign for baby which is cradling your arms and saying "baby" in a matter of fact tone like "Yes, I get it." But then, for the first time, I actually used the phrase, "We're going to have a baby!" And at that moment, Joseph's jaw dropped and his eyes opened wide, he took in a little gasp of air and then he said "Wow! ... Nice!" I think he really got it at that moment and he was so genuinely excited! (Maybe he just thought we had named my belly Simon prior to now?) He really likes babies and is always asking to hold them when he sees them. So it warms my heart that he is so happy about having our very own baby in the family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
that's lovely, hutchie! :)
ReplyDelete