Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ode to Neti Pot (a pre-Thanksgiving post)

"I'm a little Neti Pot, short and stout
here is my handle, Here is my spout
When you get all stuffed up, stick me in your snout.
Ah! All clear, the snot comes out!"


This past week I came down with a pretty bad cold. And unfortunately, for a woman in my condition (pregnant and nursing) the list of medications I can take for relief is approximately zilcho! So for the first time I turned to a "natural" treatment: the neti pot. (aside from vitamins, of which I also took extra.) I have to say, I was pretty pleased with the results. For those unfamiliar, it is basically a minature tea pot that you stick in your nose and pour saline water through your nostrils while leaning your head sideways over the sink. It can be used daily, not just for colds, but I don't think I would have tried it if I weren't sick. It definitely worked to relieve congestion for several hours.

On Wednesday Michael was my knight in shining armor. I was feeling like total garbage and really wishing in my heart that he were home. Then at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon, while I was laying down with Joseph during his nap, I heard the characterstic "beep beep beep" of the alarm when a door opens and I knew it was him! I didn't ask him to, he just knew that I needed him! (We are also fortunate that he has an understanding manager and a job where he can leave if he needs to. Although he still had to do a conference call and a few other tasks from home.)

Joseph has also been sick. (I got my illness from him.) But he has been in pretty good spirits... just a runny nose which he keeps wiping on his sleeve. (yuck!) He's also pulled off some record breaking tantrums this week, making me wonder what happened to my sweet little boy. And he's been rather clingy, for lack of a better word. I've enjoyed snuggling, especially while he is still the only one to snuggle with, but it makes it kind of hard to do anything else! Hopefully he's returned to us now. He's been more his old self today.

There's not been too much exciting stuff going on at home. Michael has been diligently repainting our guest room/office for a few hours each night after he comes home from work. It's all done, except for the closet. Then he is going to paint what is currently our "office" so that it can become Joseph's room and hopefully have that accomplished before Simon arrives.

Today, however, Michael didn't do any painting. He blew leaves for about six hours! We hadn't done anything with the leaves in our yard since fall began and we had a pretty thick layer over the whole yard. He is finally done, and even bagged some up so that I can put it in my compost bin. (Last year's batch came out beautifully, BTW. Too bad I don't have a garden to put it in -yet.)

We will be having Thanksgiving dinner with Michael's brother Bob and family as well as his dad and his sister Melissa. I guess this will the fifth year! (although Michael was really going over there for Thanksgiving long before he met me.)

Tomorrow Rachel and I, with Joseph, are going to Dad and Cathy's house to spend some time with Dad on his birthday. Rachel is going to make Dad english muffin pizzas and angel food cake. (Fortunately Rachel came over today and told me that I was going, b/c I had left a voicemail for dad yesterday and I hadn't actually heard back as to whether he would be home!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the Neti pot brought you some relief, Sarah. Thanks to a Rite Aid deal I now have one. David scoffs at it but I am hopeful...I am also hopeful I won't need it! :)

    I loved the recent photo album of Joseph - he is looking so big! Have a great holiday week.

    ReplyDelete