The itinerary for Day 4 in Paris included the Chapel of the Miraculous Medal / La Chapelle de la Medaille Miraculeuse and La Chapelle de Saint Vincent de Paul which is more or less just around the corner.
I had been hoping to reconnect with an old friend from college this day, but she ended up losing an important travel document and could not come after all.
I had been hoping to reconnect with an old friend from college this day, but she ended up losing an important travel document and could not come after all.
Back on the Metro!
Inside La Chapelle de la Medaille Miraculeuse. The relics of Ste Louise de Maurillac are on the far left. The incorrupt body of Ste Catherine Laboure is on the right, and the incorrupt heart of St. Vincent de Paul is on the far right (obscured by the pillar) along with the blue chair (partially obscured by the pillar) in which Mary was sitting when she appeared to Saint Catherine.
The relic of St. Vincent de Paul's heart and the chair Mary sat in.
Saint Catherine Laboure. I think she might be one of the very rare incorrupt saints that doesn't have any wax to touch up her appearance.
While it is amazing to be in the presence and follow in the footsteps of so many amazing saints, I must admit feeling a little disappointed that their relics are usually gated off and beyond reach.
While it is amazing to be in the presence and follow in the footsteps of so many amazing saints, I must admit feeling a little disappointed that their relics are usually gated off and beyond reach.
Effigy and relics of Saint Louise de Maurillac. Co-founder, along with St. Vincent de Paul of the Daughters of Charity who live here.
Per a little internet research, this is only an effigy of Saint Louise and some of her relics are underneath it. There are many statues/effigies of saints in glass coffins which often get mistaken for incorrupt bodies. Sometimes saints are considered incorrupt, but they are nonetheless "touched up" with wax over the parts of them that can be seen, such as the face and/or hands. I have been finding that chapels/churches often have a little explanation somewhere near by that explains what you are seeing, however, I did not see one about Saint Louise when we were here, so I looked it up.
Per a little internet research, this is only an effigy of Saint Louise and some of her relics are underneath it. There are many statues/effigies of saints in glass coffins which often get mistaken for incorrupt bodies. Sometimes saints are considered incorrupt, but they are nonetheless "touched up" with wax over the parts of them that can be seen, such as the face and/or hands. I have been finding that chapels/churches often have a little explanation somewhere near by that explains what you are seeing, however, I did not see one about Saint Louise when we were here, so I looked it up.
Clara and I both loved this Marian monogram motif in the iron work at the chapel.
The Chapel of Saint Vincent de Paul. It was really breathtaking! His relics are above and behind the altar.
There is a little staircase that allows one to walk right up to this glass coffin (which is protected by plexiglass). There is a sign that says "Do not touch!" yet you can clearly see the handprints someone left behind. (not us!) Oh well!
This is a wax effigy covering his bones. As previously mentioned, his heart is at the other chapel nearby since he played an important role in the life of Saint Catherine Laboure and the religious order that lives there.
Detail of the celing.
Ceiling of the chapel of St. Vincent de Paul.
On this day in Paris, Simon ended up being a little bit sick. He had a temperature and was feeling kinda crummy, so after our visits to the aforementioned chapels, we came back to our lodgings at Sacre Coeur so that he could rest. Clara also chose to stay in her room, but there was still time to do something, so Joseph, Samuel, Lucy and I climbed up to the dome of Sacre-Coeur basilica. We happened to be there at sunset, which was a happy accident! Simon fortunately was feeling better by the next day and nothing else came of his brief illness.
Glimpse of the Eiffel Tower from the dome of Sacre Coeur.















No comments:
Post a Comment