Can't believe it's been a whopping six months since I posted! I think I can only remember news from the past three months or so, but here's some things we've been up to...
March - Sammy turned three. Shortly thereafter, he started to insist that we call him "Samuel." This was really of his own accord. I think the other kids were explaining to him once that his name was Samuel, but we call him Sammy. Then he decided he didn't want to be called Sammy anymore. If I forget, and out of habit call him "Sammy," he replies emphatically, "Call me Samuel!"
April - We traveled to St. Louis! We had to stop at most every two hours. I had very low expectations for the drive. The kids were sick, Joseph and Clara were coughing constantly, Samuel had a fever and pink eye... all in all, I thought as well as could be expected, I was tired, but in good spirits. Michael, on the other hand, said it was the worst day of his life! So interesting how two people can have such a different experience of the same experience!
At any rate, once we arrived in St. Louis, the kids started to mend and everyone really enjoyed the trip. We had beautiful weather and there are LOTS of family friendly things to do in the city, many of them are free! We went to the zoo (within walking distance from our apartment), Turtle Park (across the street), the Science Museum, "The Magic House" Children's museum (Excellent! Reminds me of Kid City that Ben and his family go to), saw a handful of beautiful churches, especially the Oratory of St. Francis de Sales in German baroque style... very reminiscent of European churches. It was gorgeous. We also got to visit old family friends (friends of Michael's parents) and Aunt Pat. On our way home, we decided to break up the drive and stopped in Knoxville, TN for the night. We all survived and the kids really loved the trip. They want to go back, live there, etc. etc.
Simon received his First Holy Communion on April 30. It was a beautiful and special day! Thanks to his Auntie Melissa, he looked very dapper in his new suit. He requested Steak N Shake for lunch and a Neapolitan ice cream cake for celebratory dessert.
May - Clara turned 5! We went strawberry picking and had pizza and strawberries for dinner. For her celebratory dessert she requested blueberry muffins. (Technically, she also asked for blueberry icing on them, but I sprinkled sugar on top and left it at that.)
We took an all-family camping trip. We have a family goal to go camping at least twice a year and make it a family tradition. So this was our first trip all together in a couple of years at least. We have some kinks to work out in our organization and all that, but we had fun. The next trip is on the books for October. That one will most likely be a "boys" camping trip with a good friend and our godson who has no brother and five sisters. Meanwhile, we are planning for all the girls to have a slumber party. :)
I am heading to Montana for a little jaunt over Memorial Day weekend. The holiday coincides with Michael's flex day, so I'll just be gone for four days and he won't have to take any time off of work. I'll only be taking Lucy with me.
In June, I'll be making a visit to Annie and Rachel in Durham along with Lucy and Simon. Simon is the only child who has never been to Durham on any visit, so I'm making a point for him to get his turn and I look forward to seeing Annie's new house and visiting with my sisters and nephew!
The kids have started taking piano lessons and the big boys are really enjoying it. The teacher comes to our house and does a joint lesson for Joseph and Simon, and then a joint session for Clara and Samuel - a music program specifically for youngins called "Kiddy Keys."
Lucy is smiling, babbling and rolling over. No teeth or sitting up yet. Everyone delights in her.
I can't let perfect be the enemy of the good. I am going to post this now, and if I get to add some pictures later, I will.
Love, Sarah
Thanks for the update! I would love to see some photos if you get a chance to post them.
ReplyDelete