The weather in Charlotte can be rather schizophrenic at times. We can oscillate between freezing temperatures and 70s in a matter of a day or two. (And sometimes in the same day.) This year we had a couple of big snow storms within as many weeks. I have finally lived here long enough to realize how special and rare the snow really is. I understand now why people make a big deal about it and get so excited, and I also see why it can be so crippling to travel. (And even though I have snow driving experience, I usually prefer to err on the side of caution and not go anywhere unless absolutely necessary. We just don't have the infrastructure to make winter driving safe.) If you live on a street with a hill, you can really be stuck because snow plows just don't come to residential neighborhoods. And those rapidly fluctuating temperatures can create ice which breaks tree branches and downs power lines.
But typically, any snow melts within a few days, and life goes back to normal.
On the flip side of that, I lived in Buffalo long enough to not take for granted the generally mild winters which often have positively spring like weather sprinkled throughout! I've heard some people who are wishing for winter to be over already because they are tired of cold weather. It was 72 degrees on Sunday! (Now it is near freezing and raining.) I count that as a gift and try not to be impatient over winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment