This weekend I took the kids to St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in north Charlotte for their fourth annual Multicultural Festival. Daniel and Angela talked it up a lot and repeatedly encouraged all of us (local Hoffmans) to come to it. I did not decide whether or not we would go until just a few days prior, figuring it's better to keep my calendar open in case who-knows-what-happens or how-I'll-feel schlepping kids around, etc. (Michael stayed home to use the kid-free time to assemble the new bunk bed we bought for their room.) Well I am very glad we did decide to go. It was really great! And I am also thankful Daniel, Angela and Rachel were all there, because I definitely needed their extra hands and eyes!
So for only $5 per adult (kids under 12 are free!), you get a plate and a fork and a napkin and all you can eat of a VAST variety of ethnic foods. (Drinks are also included.) I am not sure of the number, but I think a good thirty or forty countries were represented. Asian, African, European, Middle-Eastern, etc. I LOVE trying different and new foods, as do the rest of my siblings, so this was definitely right up our alley. Anyone who wants to cook some food and host a table is welcome to (Daniel and Angela made food last year.) They have all the tables set up indoors and festival-goers wind their way through the maze of culinary delights and oddities requesting a spoonful or dollop or chunk of whatever they want. You can go back as many times as you want. The eating tables were outside under tents and they also had a schedule of entertainment from different cultures such as a bagpipe player, then a pinata, chicken dance and hokey pokey for USA, a group from Cote d'Ivoire who danced and more that we did not stay to see.
Daniel and Angela were pretty clever to bring their own plates. They had some Rubbermaid or Tupperware type storage plates with divided sections and high sides. These were great for keeping foods separated, they were sturdier than the Styrofoam plates and quite deep to prevent spills as well as being less wasteful than using disposable. And they brought the lids too so that any leftovers could be easily transported home.
For those with kids who might go in the future, it certainly was a big help to me that each auntie filled a plate for one of the boys while I, wearing Clara, filled my own plate. (There were a lot of people milling around in close quarters while holding plates of food. Kinda tricky with littles in tow.) It also allowed me to go back for seconds without trying to watch kids at the same time. And then later when Simon had an accident followed by another potty emergency, the presence of other trusted adults to assist was also indispensable! Thanks for all your help!
No comments:
Post a Comment