Sunday, May 23, 2010
Imagination and Creativity
Joseph has a very vivid imagination. He can play for very long stretches by himself making believe with a variety of toys: trains, dinosaurs, dragons, cars... and if he doesn't have toys, he improvises with anything else handy: napkins, pens, bottles, whatever. He is an excruciatingly slow eater, and this is often because he starts playing and imagining while he's eating. If we take everything away, he'll just use his hands! And he is alsmot always gazing out the window looking for rabbits or birds or lizards or butterflies. I usually don't understand what he's saying as he plays, but once in a while I'll hear a familiar phrase like "We have to say a blessing," or "It makes you healthy."
One day, in what I thought was a very impressive display of creativity, Joseph came accross a pile of cotton swabs that Simon had spilled on the floor. He called them "fossils" and then started laying them out in a pattern resembling a dinosaur skeleton.
Sometimes his play reminds me of the way Dave used to play as a child. If that is any indication that he will be as intelligent as his Uncle Dave, he will be a very blessed boy. And I will have my hands full!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you for the compliment. I think you meant to add Uncle before Dave the first time you invoked my name (typo).
ReplyDeleteThere was a typo. I fixed it!
ReplyDeleteJoseph's imaginative play reminds me so much of how Jonathan played at that age! I would send him to his room for timeout sometimes, and it wouldn't be much of a punishment, because I'd find him playing happily with something he found, like a piece of string, and he'd be making up a vivid story with it. He still amazes me with his "imagination time" as we call it, so I'm sure Joseph will keep it up, too.
ReplyDeleteThat is so neat! My John has an amazing imagination and is always telling me stories. He never stops talking. But he won't go play by himself with that imagination. He has to involve me constantly.
ReplyDeletemax can do that also...I amazed how well he plays by himself and often DOESNT want mommy or daddy to play bc we really just mess up the "play" in his head...yeah for imaginative kids!!
ReplyDelete