Monday, November 2, 2009

Pan de Muertos




For the feast of All Souls, I tried a new recipe which maybe will become a future tradition: Pan de Muertos (Bread of the Dead.)

I'll just need to plan a little better as the whole process wasn't finished until 7:30pm. Joseph was already in his room getting ready for bed, so I brought it up to show him. I am pleased to say that he recognized the bread as "bones!" I improvised the skulls never having seen a picture but reading that the bread is traditionally baked in that shape. Not too shabby I think!
May all our faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.


3 comments:

  1. Sarah! I am commenting here for lack of your email and scatterbrainedness on my own part. These breads are cute- I can tell about a tradition for St Nicholas from the Swiss that is similar sometime. Anyway- I am hoping that if you get this and you go to get milk today that I can bum off you anthing you are willing to share- sourdough starter, scobie for Kombucha or kefir grains! I would love to owe you a future good turn for any of them. AND do you know of a good local honey supplier or a source for goats' milk? Hope to see you this morning in line for milk! God is so kind to provide this for us, isn't He!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat! Is there a nice glaze on it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there is a glaze. It is made with orange juice and sugar and orange zest. Except I didn't have any orange zest, so I used lemon zest instead.

    ReplyDelete