I thought it was a little amusing that when I was answering some initial questions with the assistant at my first followup, I said that I did not think that I was experiencing symptoms such as congestion or post nasal drip. Upon examination by the doctor, he observed both! I thought to myself, I probably do not even know what it's like to truly NOT have some level of congestion and allergy symptoms. (I type, while scratching my throat...)
My visit to the allergist was precipitated by an acute allergic reaction, to what I know not, about a month ago. After dinner on a Saturday night, I started itching on my forearms. But didn't think too much of it, since I have experienced itchy episodes many times before. By the wee hours of the morning, I awoke and could tell that my eyelids were swollen. When I was able to take a look at myself, I could see that I had a rash all over my face, ears, neck, chest and forearms. It was very itchy. I was miserable. After a few days of only slight improvement, I made an appointment to see an allergist. He put me on Prednisone and antibiotics and antihistamines. The antibiotics were because the rash was also infected by staph. So after all that medicine, plus topical steroids, the reaction was finally under control. Now it is up to me to maintain my skin through a laborious regime of regular full-body moisturization with lotions and ointments; bleach baths; and running a humidifier in my bedroom at night. I am also going to start allergy shots for my
The doctor thinks that at least part of my trouble is that since I am constantly exposed to allergens and my body is reacting to them, that my immune system is less able to keep the eczema in check and/or it is another manifestation of my constant state of allergy.
Sarah, You poor thing! That is really awful. I've seen Ben suffer with severe eczema and it can really suck the life out of a person. Not just the itchy misery, but feeling self-conscious of appearance and all the lifestyle changes and the time required to do body maintenance. The allergy shots are a big investment of time, but Ben is so much better now that he's done them. No more days in bed with boxes of tissues in the spring and fall. I think he's been getting them for two years. He is now on a once per month maintenance plan. You are doing the right thing. You will feel so much better one of these days and you'll be happy you got the shots. Please keep us updated on your progress!
ReplyDelete