As for his birthday - I am too excited not to share already... but I found him a book I think he will just LOVE! It is "The Bird Song Bible" and it is huge and probably weighs at least 20 lbs, maybe 30... I don't even know if he'll be able to carry it... but it has an electronic player that plays I think a thousand bird songs of north american birds! And it was only $25! (The sticker says it retails for $125.) I was ready to buy him a similar and much smaller book, with fewer bird songs for about the same price. I'm so happy I found this!
The other thing I am working on for his birthday is a hand-made butterfly metamorphosis toy. That has been his most often requested birthday present. And I looked around online and didn't find anything that was quite right. Then I found a pattern on Etsy for making such a toy! And it will include a leaf with an egg on it and a big cocoon (chrysalis) for the reversible caterpillar-butterfly to fit into. But you know for Joseph, it can't just be any butterfly. It must be an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly. (And I know it is just his favorite for the moment and that it will almost certainly change, so I have to prepare myself for future disinterest, despite all my hard work.) So, I actually altered the pattern a bit to make it look as much like a tiger swallowtail as possible. And I chose colors for the caterpillar that are like a tiger swallowtail caterpillar. (I know with Joseph no detail is overlooked... he will probably tell me that the leaf is not the right species and the chrysalis is not the right shape. But I can only do so much!) So I hope that it is like what he has been imagining all this time. I will take pictures when it's all done.
Oh yes, I almost forgot - the anecdote that brings me back to the title. We have a nickname for Clara. We call her "Puddum" or "The Puddum" (coined by Michael.) One day Joseph asked me if he could have a nick name too. After thinking about it for a couple of days, I asked him, "How about if we call you 'Origami Joe?'" Well, he replied that he just likes to be called "Joseph."
Here are some photos of some of his original creations that I think are particularly good and/or interesting:
In the above picture, he is holding a macaw that Auntie Rachel made for him, which he loves.
This is Joseph's "Short Legged Heron" that he created and gave to Rachel as a gift.
And while I'm at it - bonus photos:
Clara likes to play dress up.
Super Simon on the 4th of July
Chatting with police officers on the 4th of July. No crimes were perpetrated in the taking of this photo.
Another hilarious version of dress up for Clara.
Love the informative update and photos! We are in the midst of an origami craze here, so I laughed to see the piles of creations around Joseph. It's hard to keep them corralled. I can't wait to hear how he enjoys his birthday presents.
ReplyDelete