Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hopeful Gardener

So I am tired of just thinking about having a garden someday, and this fall I have finally taken some major steps toward realizing the vision.  I couldn't have done it without Michael's help.  Thank you very much!

I guess I actually started last fall when I planted my "mail box herb garden."  Around the mail box is probably the only place on our property that gets full sun.  So that has been my major dilemma all along... The herbs that survived have done awesome: oregano, chives, thyme and yarrow.  Rosemary and Sage died... I wonder if it got too wet for them?

Last week I bought a sapling fig tree and two 3-year old blueberry plants from the NC Cooperative Extension Office.  I planted the fig tree a few days ago, and got the blueberry plants in the ground today.  I am so afraid of them failing because I really don't know what I'm doing and just trying to follow the instructions as best I can from handouts and websites!  With Michael's assistance, we transplanted a smallish azalea bush from the backyard to the front of the house.  The azalea was transplanted in order to make room for a future raised bed to go on the little hill in our back yard.  Between our two story house and all the tall trees, there are hardly any spots that have a good 6-8 hours of sun, but there is a small break in the canopy above this plot I have picked out and I'm hoping it will be enough to grow some crops.  ...I'm also hoping that about four months will be enough time for Michael to build me a frame for the raised bed I want to put there!  I am trying to do as much as I can on my own since this is really my "pet project," but I think I might know less about construction than I do about gardening!  Plus with all the little ones, I don't know how I could manage a project like that on my own.

4 comments:

  1. The fig tree sounds really cool! For the blueberry bushes, I've read that they like acidic soil (shredded maples leaves, coffee grounds, etc. would be good additives) and cover them with bird-netting (over a frame) to save the berries from the birds. We are excited to finally try a raised garden bed next year, too, but we have to put ours in the front yard - it's the only place with enough sun. Hope the neighbors don't mind! Good luck and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your hopes/plans are coming to fruition, step by step! 4 out of 6 is not bad at all for your herb garden. Rosemary consistently dies on me. I'd be interested to know what you use yarrow for!

    I once lived where there was a huge, super-productive fig tree. It was beautiful, the fruit was sublime, and the birds loved it! Best wishes for all your plantings, Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I've only used the yarrow for it's pretty flowers. :) But it has medicinal uses, so if I ever get around to looking up how to use it for teas or tinctures, I might make something from it!

    I am afraid for my fig tree now. I think I originally put in a place that was too wet, so I moved it last weekend. It doesn't look very good right now!
    I think maybe my rosemary and sage died for being too wet too, due to run off at the end of the property where the mailbox is... that's my hunch anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful! I hope it goes well. I have finally figured out a spot that might get 6+ hours of sun on our property (because we had two giant trees felled). If we ripe out three shrubs there, I can plant a garden. That is my goal for the spring.

    ReplyDelete