Monday, December 13, 2010

Dow Dow and Boy

Simon's vocabulary and language skills are steadily improving every day.  However, sometimes I still struggle to discover his meanings as new words emerge that aren't immediately recognizable. 

One thing that we find very endearing and cute is that Simon has developed a name for Joseph: "Dow-dow" and he refers to himself as "Boy." 

He says "gee-kah" for milk, "pieces" for puzzles and letters, "dee dee cuu-cuu" for train (his version of "choo choo" but I don't know why he adds "dee dee") and much much more.

One night in St. John he woke up crying and saying "bocca bocca bocca" over and over again.  I could not figure out what he meant and it sounded like he was saying "Becca" (for Auntie Becca.)  However, I now think that he might have been saying "booger" as a way to indicate that his nose was running and he wanted me to wipe it.  Not that he doesn't love his Auntie Becca dearly, which he clearly does, but this does seem to make more sense.  And last night he did it again and I was confused, but then I was able to put it together because he has been waking previous nights and saying his version of booger or tissue so that I would wipe his nose.  I have been delayed in responding to his requests b/c I didn't know that he knew the word "booger" or how he pronounced it, but eventually I figured it out each time.  (Then I fall back asleep and forget all about it.)

Mommy is learning, slowly but surely!

3 comments: