Monday, August 23, 2010

Our visit to CT

We had a wonderful time visiting Ben's family in Connecticut. Joseph enthusiastically anticipated the visit and the airplane trip for several days. The cousins talked to each other on Skype the day before they met each other in person to help reacquaint themselves. (I think it had been two years since Joseph, Jonathan and Bridget all saw each other and I was pregnant with Simon.) Once we arrived at Ben's house, it didn't take them long to warm up to each other and they had so much fun playing together. Fortunately they are at ages where they do not have any pretensions and it wasn't long before they were acting as if they were old friends, with Joseph calling after Bridget with tones of great familiarity and affectionate exchanges. Joseph said one day to Bridget, "I love you, Big Girl," and Bridget said that Joseph was her best friend and Joseph also said, "I love you in the whole world!" Jonathan doted on Simon and was very affectionate and caring towards him. I think he declared that Simon was his favorite baby. He also gave him lots of kisses as well of lots of blueberries and red pepper strips! It wasn't long before Joseph was asking Aunt Mary for help and counsel more than he was me.

We did many of the quintessential CT Hoffman Family activities that are blogged about which I was delighted to experience for myself: Fruit picking at Dondero orchards and the delicious cider donuts, the playground, the Lutz Children's museum, KidCity, chalk drawing, Mille Bornes, bike riding and playing out in the yard with some adventurous feats organized by Uncle Ben (such as sailing down the backyard hill in a little tykes car.)

It was also nice for me to get to know my niece and nephew a little better and see how Ben and Mary are as parents (patient, caring and creative to say the least.) I also got to witness first hand Jonathan's mathematical prowess. If he had a superhero persona, he would be called "The Quantifier." He is always wanting to know how fast, how many, how long, how far, how much. I was most impressed by Jonathan's mind when one evening at dinner he asked Ben, "How many ounces did I eat?" Ben answered, "Thirty." To which Jonathan replied, "That's two less than two pounds."

Wow! There's quite a bit of knowledge and computation contained in that statement! First of all, he not only knows that there are 16 ounces in a pound, but that two pounds is 32 ounces and that 30 is two less than 32. I was so astonished I quizzed him to see what other measurements he might know. (Though I asked him mostly about volumes which I deal with every day but I gather are not as pertinent to him as weight, distance, speed and money.) Then I asked him what half a pound is. He said eight ounces. Then I asked him what is a quarter of a pound. He took a few moments, blurted out some numbers and then said, "Four." So he can also do division/fractions as well as add up two, three and four digit numbers in his head as required for playing and scoring Mille Bornes. (All of which Ben has told us about, but it is amazing to witness for oneself. And for anyone reading who doesn't know Jonathan, he just turned six in July.)

We were also able to enjoy practically perfect weather which was a welcome break from the opressive heat we've been surviving in Charlotte.

Thanks Ben, Mary, Jonathan and Bridget for having us and showing us such a good time!

For more pictures and video from our trip, please see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment