Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chip Deja Vu

The story of Joseph's first potato chip, he was about eight months old and I was visiting Rebecca in Buffalo. She and I were enjoying some barbeque potato chips and Joseph was sitting on one of our laps. Then he casually reached over and picked up a potato chip and started eating just as he'd been eating them his whole life! I was a bit mortified at the time because I didn't want any "junk" food to taint my baby's pure lips. Not to mention not having enough teeth or oral dexterity (is that a term?) to actually eat one.

Yesterday we were at Papa's house to watch baseball and once again, people were eating potato chips - young nephews especially, so at least a chip or two found its way to the floor. Simon was crawling all around liked he owned the place and once he came across a potato chip, he picked it up and started nibbling on it like it was just any old baby snack! Deja vu.

Simon really loves eating. Whenever he sees someone eating he usually gets a big grin on his face and makes a bee line to that person hoping for some handouts. If we're at the dinner table and he's in his high chair he bounces up and down with glee for the entire time that I am feeding him - even while I am approaching him with food which often makes it hard to get the spoon in his mouth. And sometimes when I am holding him, I am eating something that is not appropriate for him (i.e. texture wise - too hard, chewy, crunchy, etc.) but he doesn't know the difference and he just wants to eat it. He starts licking his lips and watches every bite very intently as it goes in my mouth. He even tries to eat it out of my mouth! It looks like he's trying to give me french kiss! Or like a baby bird waiting for his mama to regurgitate some food into his mouth!

ETA: Simon also likes holding on to things in his mouth and then crawling around from here to there. He looks like a little puppy dog playing fetch.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that fondly.

    You were holding him and they were sour cream and cheddar chips, not BBQ ;)

    He just reached into the bowl with his little pincers and he was so natural, I think we didn't realize for a second or two that he shouldn't be doing it.

    ReplyDelete